Sometimes, you need to call someone without giving them your number. Perhaps you want to play a joke on your friends, keep your personal life private, or stop getting spam calls. No matter the cause, several options exist for hiding your identity when using an Android or iPhone to make a call. Here are five ways to make a secret call from your mobile device.
Use a Blocking Code
One of the easiest ways to call someone anonymously is to use a blocking code before dialing the number. A blocking code is a special prefix that prevents your caller ID from being displayed to the recipient.
Countries and regions have different blocking codes, so you must check the one that works for your location. For example, in the US and Canada, you can use *67 as a blocking code, while in the UK, you can use 141. Here is how to use a blocking code:
- Open the Phone app on your Android or iPhone.
- Enter the blocking code followed by the phone number you want to call. For example, *67 555-1234.
- Tap the call button and wait for the call to connect.
- The recipient will see “Unknown,” “Private,” or “No Caller ID” on their screen instead of your phone number.
Note that some people may not answer calls from unknown numbers or have a feature that blocks anonymous calls. Also, blocking codes may not work for toll-free numbers, emergency services, or others.
Use an App
Another way to call someone anonymously is to use third-party apps that provide this service. Many apps are available for Android and iPhone that let you make anonymous calls for free or for a fee. Some of these apps are:
- Burner: This app lets you create temporary phone numbers that you can use to make and receive calls and texts. You can choose from different area codes and dispose of the numbers when done. Burner offers a free trial and then charges a subscription fee or credits for using the service.
- Hushed: This app is similar to Burner phone but offers international calling and texting. You can get a second phone number from over 60 countries and use it to make anonymous calls and texts. Hushed also has a free trial and then requires a subscription or credits.
- TextNow: This app gives you a free phone number that you can use to make unlimited calls and texts in the US and Canada. You can also make international calls at low rates. TextNow uses your internet connection (Wi-Fi or cellular data) to make calls, so you don’t need a SIM card or a phone plan.
- SpoofCard: This app lets you spoof your caller ID and make it appear as any number you want. You can also change your voice, add background noises, and record your phone calls. SpoofCard offers free credits to try the service and then charges per minute or credit.
To use any of these apps, you need to download them from the Google Play Store or the App Store, create an account, and follow the instructions to make anonymous calls.
Google Voice is a service that gives you a free phone number that you can use to make calls, texts, and voicemails. You can link your Google Voice number to your existing phone number and use it as an alternative number.
To make anonymous calls with Google Voice, you need to change a setting in your account. Here is how:
- Go to voice.google.com on your computer or open the Google Voice app on your smartphone.
- Sign in with your Google account and choose a Google Voice number if you don’t have one already.
- Click or tap the settings icon (the gear symbol) in the upper right corner.
- Click or tap on Calls on the left sidebar.
- Under Caller ID (outgoing), select Anonymous.
- Save your changes.
Now, when you make calls with Google Voice, your Google Voice number will not be shown to the recipient. Instead, they will see “Unknown” or “No Caller ID”.
To show your Google Voice number again, you need to change the setting back to Display my Google Voice number.
Note that Google Voice is only available in the US and other countries. You also need a Google account and a phone number to verify your account.
Using Settings on Android
If you have an Android phone, you can also make anonymous calls by changing your phone settings menu. This will hide your caller ID for all outgoing calls until you turn it off. Here is how to do it:
- Open the Phone app on your Android phone.
- Tap on the three-dot icon in the upper right corner and select Settings.
- Tap on Calls and then Additional Settings.
- Tap on Caller ID and select Hide number.
- Save your changes.
Now, when you make calls from your Android phone, your phone number will not be shown to the recipient. Instead, they will see “Unknown” or “Private number.” Change the setting back to Show number to show your phone number again.
Note that this method may not work for some carriers or regions. You may also need to restart your mobile phone after changing the settings.
Using Settings on iPhone
If you have an iPhone, you can also make anonymous calls by changing your phone app settings. This will hide your private caller ID for all outgoing calls until you turn it off. Here is how to do it:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on Phone and then Show My Caller ID.
- Toggle off the switch next to Show My Caller ID.
- Exit the settings app.
When you make calls from your iPhone, your real phone number will not be shown to the recipient. Instead, they will see “Unknown” or “No Caller ID”. You must toggle on the switch next to Show My Caller ID to show your phone number again.
Note that this method may not work for some carriers or regions. You may also need to restart your cell Phone after changing the setting.
This article shows five methods to call someone anonymously from your Android or iPhone. You can use a blocking code, an app, Google Voice, or settings on your Phone to hide your anonymous caller ID and protect your privacy.
However, you should also know the limitations and risks of anonymous calls. Some people may not answer or block unknown numbers, and some numbers may not accept anonymous calls. Also, it would be best not to use anonymous calls for illegal or malicious purposes, as they can still be traced by law enforcement or other authorities.